If you’re an adult carer of someone over the age of 18 who’s ill, disabled or elderly a carer’s assessment could help you. As a carer, you’ve got a legal right to an assessment of your own needs. It doesn’t matter if the person you care for doesn’t want their needs assessed. This assessment – which is free - is about you and what you need.

To get a carer’s assessment, contact adult social services at your local council and ask for one. The council, or from an organisation working with the council, will use the assessment to find out what help you need:

  • With caring
  • To look after your own health
  • To help balance caring with your life, work and family commitments.

If your circumstances change, you can ask for your assessment to be done again.

Find out how to get a carer’s assessment on the NHS website