Publish date: 24 November 2021
Today (24th November), NHS Trusts in North West London launch Best For You, a new patient-centred model of care to help the increasing numbers of young people requiring urgent mental health care.
Child and adolescent mental health is a growing public health crisis in the UK with the COVID-19 pandemic causing a steep rise in numbers of young people affected: 1 in 6 children and young people aged 5-16 are likely to have a mental health problem but only 25% receive the treatment they need.
Three NHS Trusts in London - West London NHS Trust, Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust and Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust - have come together with the charity CW+ and other local and national partners to create a transformative new approach called Best For You. For the first time, specialist medical and mental health care will be combined and integrated with community services and digital tools to provide comprehensive, rapid and long-term care in a way that best meets the needs of the individual and their family.
The first phase of Best For You is the programme website – www.bestforyou.org.uk.
The new website uniquely combines:
- A portfolio of innovative, clinically-assessed and age-appropriate digital aids including a library of safe and ORCHA accredited apps that have been rigorously vetted and tested
- Clinically-approved information about conditions, accessing services and support
- Crisis information including a dedicated text support service that is free, confidential and accessible 24/7
- Peer support that aims to connect with, and inspire young people to not feel afraid about seeking support with advice on how to find the help they need
Carolyn Regan, Chief Executive of West London NHS Trust outlines: “The launch of the digital platform today is the first of many milestones for the Best For You programme. With young people increasingly turning to online resources to seek peer-to-peer support as well as expert guidance, we’ve engaged with young people to develop content that reassures, inspires and encourages others to seek help. By working with young people and their families and by bringing together NHS experts and our local and national partners, we hope we can continue to urgently transform how care is delivered to help more young people in crisis.”
Claire Murdoch, Chief Executive of the Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust, says: “We are determined to improve mental health care for our children and young people. The NHS can’t do this alone. We have to do this in collaboration with young people and their families, and with our partners in the charitable and private sector. Together, we can transform the way we treat the increasing numbers of young people requiring urgent mental health support.”
Lesley Watts, Chief Executive of Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust explains: “I am excited we are officially launching Best For You today. It is a pioneering, new approach with the young person and their family at the centre of an innovative model of care that is easier and faster to access, offers joined-up and comprehensive care, and is also compassionate and long-term. We are setting a new standard in mental health care, which we hope will be become the blueprint throughout the NHS nationally and internationally.”
If you are a young person, family member or friend, a clinician or carer, visit www.bestforyou.org.uk.
- Ends -
Best For You Founders
- West London NHS Trust https://www.westlondon.nhs.uk/
- Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust https://www.cnwl.nhs.uk/about
- Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust https://www.chelwest.nhs.uk/
- CW+, the charity of Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust www.cwplus.org.uk
Best For You Partners (to date)
- Marlborough School
- Participation People