Accessibility options |
West London NHS Trust > Patients and carers > Process of care > Referral and assessment

Referral and assessment

People are referred to us in a range of different ways, but generally this is by their GP.

#If you become worried about your mental health and you’re not already receiving support, you should contact your GP (family doctor) to discuss your concerns.
Your GP will have experience with most mental health conditions and may be able to help you themselves or put you in contact with more specialist mental health service like ours.
To search for a GP in your area or to find the contact details for your practice, please see the doctor’s section on
You can also call NHS Direct on 0845 46 47 or visit for advice.

Family, friends and carers

Husband and wifeIf you are worried about the mental wellbeing of someone you know, try to talk to them about your concerns. Encourage them to speak to their GP or other health worker as a first step to getting help.
The most important thing anyone can do for a family member of friend is to help him or her get the appropriate assessment and treatment.
It can be a distressing experience if someone you care about becomes unwell. Sometimes people might think or behave in ways that you are not used to, and this too can be upsetting. You may want to get help for yourself too so that you have the right support and accurate information.
Once someone has been referred, they will meet with one of our health professionals from a multi-disciplinary team to discuss the reason for their referral. They will be asked a range of questions to make sure they receive a full assessment of their needs. Where possible we encourage carers or relatives to contribute to the assessment process if service users are happy for them to do so.