01 Apr 2016
On Friday 1 April West London Mental Health Trust launch the new One You Ealing campaign, to help local people live longer, healthier lives. The service will encourage Ealing residents to take control of their health, as around 40% of all deaths in England are related to lifestyle habits such as smoking, eating too much unhealthy food, and inactivity, which the NHS spends £11bn a year on treating.
The campaign’s innovative online health quiz ‘How Are You’ provides a practical way for adults to identify risks in their lifestyles, and provide personalised advice to help them take action where it’s most needed. Over half (56%) of 40 – 60 year olds taking the quiz said they were likely to change their lifestyle to improve their health because of the feedback it gave them.
The trust’s Ealing service will also include the following interventions:
- Stop smoking service – Specialised support to quit smoking at our stop smoking clinics. The service can also be accessed at local pharmacies or GP surgeries.
- Health checks – Designed for high risk people who are less engaged with primary care services, these checks will identify aspects of individual’s lifestyles and family history which may put their health at risk. Teams will record height, weight, blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and calculate BMI.
- Childhood obesity – A free healthy lifestyle programme for children and their families, supporting them to become fitter and healthier.
- Healthy walks – Short walks around Ealing to help people stay active.
- Health trainers – A one-to-one service for people who want to make changes to their lifestyle. The service also offers group workshops to cover key health messages around healthy eating, physical activity, diabetes, alcohol, coronary heart disease, stroke, and blood pressure.
- English for speakers of other languages (ESOL) classes – Learners will improve their ability to read food and medicine labels, talk to health professionals and understand health advice.
- Tuberculosis awareness – The project provides assistance to TB nurses and chest physicians about managing TB patients.
Johnny Nota, service manager for One You Ealing, said: “I’m extremely pleased the trust is taking this step to provide holistic, person-centred care for the people of Ealing. It’s a truly community based service and we encourage everyone in the borough to get involved, as it’s never too late to make small changes to shape your future health.
“Currently 42% of adults in midlife are living with at least one long-term health condition which increases their risk of early death and disability. Modern day life makes it hard for people to make healthy choices, with bigger portions, desk-bound jobs or long commutes. One You gives people the chance to reappraise their lifestyle choices, put themselves first and get their health back on track.”
For more information about the service, please contact 0300 456 0556 or view our website www.oneyouealing.org.