Accessibility options |
West London NHS Trust > Eating Disorder Service

Eating Disorder Service

The West London Community Eating Disorders Service is a specialist outpatient service which offers assessment, treatment and monitoring for people aged 18 and over with conditions such as anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa and binge eating disorder.

Who we are

We are a psychology-led team, made up of psychologists, trainees, a dietician and admin staff, who work collaboratively to deliver the best care for you. We do not offer psychiatric reviews, or prescribe medication. We work closely with GPs and other medical professionals involved in our patients’ care.

Our Treatments

The eating disorder service provides a range of psychological interventions and also dietetic input, which are allocated based on what will be most beneficial and suitable for the individual being referred.

Group CBT

Group DBT

1:1 Therapy

Dietetic input

Inclusion criteria

  • Aged 18 or over
  • Any gender
  • Suspected diagnosis of anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, binge eating disorder or other specified feeding or eating disorder (OSFED)
  •  Fall within the catchment area (Hounslow and Ealing home addresses only – for Hammersmith & Fulham residence, please refer to Vincent Square Eating Disorder Service)

    Exclusion criteria

  • BMI less than 16 (if this is the case, please refer to Vincent Square Eating Disorder Service)
  • Current psychosis or any other major psychiatric or physical disorder requiring treatment before eating disorder can be addressed
  • Referral forms

    MH1 Form

    Internal Referral Form

    Single Point of Access (SPA)

    SPA Leaflet 

    0300 1234 244

    Contact us

    Tel: 020 8354 8745

    Fax: 020 8354 8526


    Service Manager: Dr. Rana Rashed

    Clinical Lead: Dr. Sam Spedding

    Opening hours

    Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm

    Our locations

    Contact us


    South East House,

    St Bernards Hospital,

    Uxbridge Road, 

    Southall UB1 3EU


    Lakeside Mental Health Unit,

    West Middlesex Hospital,

    Twickenham Road, 

    Isleworth TW7 6AF

    Useful downloads

    Testimonials and care opinion

    What our service users say:

    “I have felt supported at all times and feel confident about the future and more positive. I feel I have learned skills that will help me in the long-term.”

    “Really good! Was very nervous at the beginning but have been able to open up and overcome a lot of what I struggled with. Amazing service.”

    “Recovery never seemed possible before coming to this service but now, after 5 years, it finally does. I am so grateful for all of the time, patience and care [the psychologist] has put into my treatment and I am looking forward to the next chapter in my life.”

    “CBT has been life changing and I have tools to stay well for life. Very happy.”

    Frequently Asked Questions

    - for referrers

    Our GP practice is within the catchment area, but the patient resides outside of it. Will you accept a referral?

    We only accept referrals when the patient lives within our catchment area.

    Is self-reported weight and height enough for a referral?

    No. It is really important we have accurate weight and height, so we need a weight and height that have been measured at the GP, hospital, etc.

    Which referral form is best to use?

    For external referrers, such as GPs, we ask that you use the MH1 form. For internal referrers, we ask that you use the internal referral form.

    Both forms can be downloaded under the referral information section above.

    - for carers

    What will happen once I am referred to the eating disorder service?

    If you are referred and we think you may be suitable for our service, we will meet with you over one or two meetings to make an assessment. We will give you and your doctor a detailed report with recommendations for treatment.

    What happens if I miss my assessment?

    If you cancel or miss your assessment appointment, you will be offered a second one. If you miss this appointment, we will be in touch about whether you still wish to be assessed by us. Please note: two missed assessments may lead to you being discharged from the service.

    How often do I need to attend sessions for treatment?

    Psychological treatment is weekly and requires regular attendance. If you miss more than two sessions in a row, we may have to review suitability for treatment at that time.

    - for service users

    What can I do if I feel like a loved one might be experiencing eating difficulties?

    Knowing someone who is struggling with eating difficulties can be challenging and it can be hard to know the best way to help them. Beat is the National Eating Disorder  charity and they have some useful resources and advice on their website, ranging from how to support someone at mealtimes, to how to talk to someone who is showing signs of an eating disorder.

    Alternatively, you can contact the Single Point of Access (SPA) 24/7 Helpline on 0300 1234 244 for advice if you are really concerned about someones’ safety.