Accessibility options |
West London NHS Trust > Contact us > Make a complaint

Make a complaint

If you’re not satisfied with the service received from West London Mental Health NHS Trust, you can make a formal complaint in writing.

If you feel able, try to talk to somebody directly involved in your care first, such as a nurse, ward manager or doctor.
If you feel unable to discuss your complaint with a member of staff involved in your care, you can write to the Complaints Manager:

Trust Complaints Manager
Trust Headquarters
1 Armstrong Way

Please call us on 020 8354 8174 if you have any questions about making a complaint.

What you can expect from us

When we get your complaint we will:

  • let you know we have received it (we aim to do this within 2 working days)
  • investigate it, if appropriate
  • let you know what went wrong and what we are doing to put things right

We will write to you within 3 working days to formally acknowledge your complaint and to let you know about the next steps.
If an investigation is necessary, we will want to meet with you to get as much detail as possible so that we can be certain that we look into all aspects of your complaint.
If you want to make a formal complaint, you should do so within 12 months of the events happening, or within 12 months of you becoming aware that you have a complaint.  The complaints manager has discretionary powers to extend this if there are good reasons why the complaint could not be made earlier.
We will write to you when the investigation is complete to explain what has happened and apologise if we have failed in any way. We will also tell you about the action we have taken to put the matter right and improve the services we offer.
We see complaints as a valuable source of feedback, and our approach is to learn from problems that have occurred.
Where your complaint includes the actions of another NHS organisation or Social Services we will try to work with these organisations so that you receive a single reply to all issues you have raised with us.
If for any reason there is a delay we will contact you.

Further action

Please let us know if you are unhappy with our response to your complaint and we will try to address your concerns.
If you are still not satisfied with our response, you can write to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

The Ombudsman

The Ombudsman will only consider your complaint once it has been investigated and responded to by the trust.

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower

Tel: 0345 015 4033

Help to write your complaint

The independent NHS complaints advocacy service can support you in making a complaint and give you advice about using the complaints system. They can also write letters on your behalf and prepare you for and attend meetings with you.
Helpline: 0300 330 5454
Textphone: 0786 002 2939
Fax: 0330 088 3762
The advocacy service is available for all patients, providing independent guidance, help and support.
For a full list of advocates or advocate information at Broadmoor Hospital, ask a member of staff or call our patient advice team free on 0800 064 3330.

Related information

‘Tell us what you think’ leaflet
Make a complaint – Easy Read leaflet
Complaints reports