03 Aug 2018
BROADMOOR HOSPITAL MOVES UP TO ‘GOOD’ CQC RATING
Broadmoor Hospital has been rated as “good” overall in a new report from the Care Quality Commission (CQC), 18 months after its inspectors said it “required improvement”.
The hospital, which is run by West London Mental Health NHS Trust (WLMHT), was rated “outstanding” for caring and “good” for being effective, responsive and well-led. The inspection took place last month (June).
The CQC’s report notes the “significant improvements” made at the hospital since the last comprehensive inspection in November 2016.
The report highlighted in particular:
- The positive interaction between staff and patients, with a particular commitment by staff to understanding the individual needs of patients. Staff went the extra mile, inspectors found;
- The work to ensure a strong patient voice, for example, in raising issues and identifying areas for improvement, in terms of their environment, the clinical approach and co-production of services
- The significant work to reduce the use of long-term segregation. There were many examples where staff helped patients spend as much time out of their wards as possible.
- Improved staff engagement and morale
The report rated Broadmoor as “requiring improvement” for patient safety in the hospital. This related in part to high levels of staff vacancies, particularly on wards. However, inspectors noted the Trust had done “significant work” on recruitment strategies to ensure the impact of staffing levels on patient care and wellbeing is being minimised.
Carolyn Regan, WLMHT Chief Executive, said:
“This is excellent news and, above all, a tribute to the dedicated work of our staff in caring for patients at Broadmoor. This rating reflects our staff’s commitment to improving services and their willingness to go the extra mile for patients.
“Broadmoor is internationally recognised, both for our outstanding work with patients and for our extensive and innovative research work, making it a leader in its field.
“The CQC has also focused on areas where we need to redouble our efforts. Work on these is already underway: we are committed to ensuring the highest levels of care and that Broadmoor achieves an outstanding rating at its next inspection.”
NOTES TO EDITORS
1. A brand new hospital is currently being built to replace the existing 150-year-old building.
2. The previous CQC report on Broadmoor can be found here
About West London Mental Health NHS Trust:
West London Mental Health NHS Trust is one of the most diverse trusts in the country. It provides a full range of mental health, physical healthcare and community services for children, adults and older people living in the London boroughs of Ealing, Hammersmith & Fulham and Hounslow, in addition to specialist and forensic mental health services, including high secure services at Broadmoor Hospital. For more details see this link.
Follow us on Twitter @WLMHT
Tel: 020 8354 8747